Having heavy periods is no fun. Excessive menstrual bleeding can interfere with your comfort and your quality of life, especially when you must constantly change tampons or pads to prevent embarrassing accidents.
It’s normal to have occasional days of heavy menstrual bleeding. However, if you experience heavy periods on a regular basis, it could be a sign of a medical issue that requires attention.
Here at Serrano Ob/Gyn Associates in San Antonio, Texas, we work with you to determine whether your heavy menstrual bleeding is a cause for concern. If it is, we provide treatment options to address the causes of a heavy flow.
A common concern
Many women experience heavy menstrual bleeding. In fact, about one-third of women seek treatment for it. But this type of bleeding isn’t normal, and you don’t have to just live with it.
Signs of heavy bleeding
Generally, we define heavy menstrual bleeding as menstrual flow that meets one or more of the following conditions:
- Periods that last longer than seven days
- Bleeding that soaks through a tampon or pad in less than an hour for several hours in a row, or that requires more than one pad at a time to prevent accidents
- Bleeding that requires tampon or pad changes during the night
- Menstrual flow that contains clots that are larger than the size of a quarter
- Bleeding that is heavy enough to interfere with your work, school attendance, or other responsibilities
- Periods that are heavy enough to lead to the development of iron-deficiency anemia, which can cause fatigue or shortness of breath
Causes of heavy bleeding
Heavy bleeding can have a variety of different causes, including:
- Problems with the lining of your uterus
- Problems with ovulation or your ovary health
- Thyroid disorders
- Bleeding disorders
- Certain cancers
- Hormone imbalances
- Certain medications
- Uterine fibroids or polyps
Because heavy menstrual periods can have so many possible causes, be sure to speak up if you’re experiencing excessive bleeding.
Treating heavy bleeding
Your treatment options for heavy menstrual bleeding vary based on what’s causing it. They include medications, hormonal birth control, minimally invasive procedures, and surgery.
Whatever the cause of your heavy bleeding, our providers at Serrano Ob/Gyn Associates can work with you find the treatment that’s best for you.
If you’re experiencing heavy periods, you don’t have to suffer in silence. At Serrano Ob/Gyn Associates, we can help you find relief from excessive menstrual bleeding. Call us at 210-761-5309 or use our online scheduling tool to make an appointment today.